Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What's cookin'?

I decided as part of the whole New Year's Resolution thing, I was going to learn to make new foods. I really do enjoy cooking as long as the kids don't bug me and the dishes are clean. Though I am not the best cook and will never claim to be, I am pretty good at researching recipes. I not only read the recipes but also scan lots of comments of others who have made the recipe. I try to stick closely to the instructions. It really annoys me when others review a recipe and decide to change almost everything about it, only to then give it 1 star. Also, I only make 4+ star recipes and most of them come from the amazing website, Allrecipes.com.
This year, I have resolved to try at least one new recipe a week. To the ghost of Julia Child, I promise not to offend you. In fact, I promise not to use any of your recipes. Rest in peace.
This past month I have discovered a couple of really good recipes which I'd like to share. First, a shout out to Carolyn (whoever the heck you are--if you are dead, could you please say "hi" to Ms. Child for me) for her amazing Orange Rolls. They were sooooo (I don't think I can add too many "o's" here) good. I topped them with a Orange flavored frosting, which I'm sure most people would love though I can't give a fair review since I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese. But it was good. Seriously, anyone who reads this must try these.
Next, is the Zuppa Toscana. The title of this recipe says "Super-Delicious." I don't think I would agree completely. It was good but probably not worthy of my recipe book though.
The next meal I made was a pretty simple Mexican Casserole. Last Saturday, I realized I hadn't made anything new that week. So, I hurried to find something. The picture looked good and I had most of the ingredients, so I went for it. Yummy! I don't even really like black beans but this was good. Next time I will add onions to the chicken along with some green chilies and extra salsa. Mackenzie seriously loved it so I guess it proved itself as "kid-friendly" as it claims.
Tonight, I will be making BBQ Chicken Calzones. Not only is BBQ chicken pizza my favorite food, but I had this at a restaurant a while ago and really enjoyed it. So we shall see how it all turns out. As for the rest of the year, I hope I can keep this up. Will be trying all types of dishes from breakfast to dessert. I saw a Baked Alaska recipe the other day. Do I dare???

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I am so making those orange rolls this weekend! Thanks, April!

Lynne Anne said...

April,
your post is so up my alley! I love Allrecipes, and I think your resolution of a new recipe a week is a great one. Maybe I'll give it a try, too.

Ashley said...

Way to go April! That is awesome.