Friday, August 15, 2008

Big Sister Redeems Herself

Today, Mackenzie showed just how kind and wonderful she can be, proving she isn't just a bully (as blogged about previously.) Here's what happened.
Sometimes I tell Mackenzie that if she's really good in the store, she can get a treat. So today, we had to go to store and she was pretty well behaved. At the check out line, I told her to run over to the other isle and pick out her treat. She came back with a big smile on her face, holding up her peanut m&ms. Knowing that Brooklyn was going to want her share and that peanut m&ms are more of a choking hazard than the plain ones, I suggested Macky go and get the "brown ones." So she did. Now, I had 2 treats. What I meant was for her to trade the peanut for the plain. Didn't happen. Fine, Macky could have hers and I would buy one for me and share with Brooklyn. Why? Because moms deserve treats for being good too! After we paid, I asked Brooklyn (who was holding my m&ms) if I could have some. She shook her head "No." "Please," I said. She shook her head again. I continued to press the issue. More headshaking. Then out of nowhere, a sweet little angel named Mackenzie says, "Mom, I'll share with you." I was so excited! Not because I got some yummy m&ms, but because my child had done a random act of kindness. She had shown me love when nothing had been asked of her. It kind of makes me think of the atonement. Noboby ever demanded Christ do what he did for us. He did it because he loved us. It's something called Charity. My child showed me today that she has charity! I've succeeded!

P.S. Brooklyn never did share her m&ms. So, I eventually took them away and then ate them. She's cute though!

2 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Oh my goodness they are both so adorable. The M&M Story is cute.

Sounds like you had a fun trip to Tahoe too.

Josh and Lauren said...

Okay first of all...brooklyn is too cute for words. Isn't rewarding to hear and see our children do good. How sweet of Mackie!