Sunday, August 3, 2008

Nevada Highway Signs

I just returned home from a long 7 1/2 hour drive from Winnemucca. On this wonderfully boring drive through the middle of nowhere, I noticed some interesting street signs.
1) Firetruck crossing--This sign I past in a very, very, very small town called Goldfield. Now, I understand there are many fires in Nevada. However, when I am driving 15 mph down a street with absolutely no firestations in sight, do I really need this warning? Is a firetruck going to jump out of nowhere in front of me? I am glad the Department of Transportation thinks so.

2) Horseback riding crossing sign--I saw this sign on our way to church this morning here in Las Vegas. First of all, I believe this is the answer to rising oil prices. If we really want to send those oil tycoons and OPEC to the poor house, let's just all buy horses and ride them. Nobody in Las Vegas does this though. So it boggles my mind why we need this sign.


3) This is probably the most popular Nevada highway crossing sign. It's called Open Range. In Arkansas, we have deer crossing signs. No big deal, right? Well, deer are wildlife. Bulls are domestic animals. Put up a fence!


4) Last but not least, is my favorite : tractor crossing. No further comment.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Glad you survived your trip home. Calli misses her cousins!

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Great signs!

Lauren said...

Hey...we have the same background on ours blogs- great minds think alike huh? So it seems you enjoyed crossing Nevada as much as I did when I traveled the state for work. But I have to tell ya...there is a fire station in Goldfield. I actually love Goldfield- as far as the histoy goes. I'll fill you in sometime if your REALLY bored for info! :) I only bring it up because I did a grant on the fire truck and station there a few years ago. But YES- the sign... unbeatable. Hope your trip other than the drive was fun! :)